If we think about the past few years, then we would find that electric bikes are the fastest-growing segment in the industry of bicycles. There are some worthy reasons too.
Electric bikes are facilitated with wind resistance, climbing efficiency, and a better range too. If you are facing any kind of physical pain that doesn’t let you cycling, then an electric bike is the best choice for you.
Compared to traditional bicycles, electric bikes are more health beneficial, cost-efficient, and develop community connections too.
Well, we know, now, the benefits of e-bikes but, what to look for in an electric bike before buying one.
If you want the proper output of the e-bike, then you have to know what is the perfect choice or option for you. And, today, we are going to help you guys with that.
Let’s start the discussion.
What to Look for in an Electric Bike? Your Questions Answered!
Well, to know what you should look for in an electric bike before buying, let us tell you that there are different categories of bikes. Each of them has different types of features and benefits.
So, you have to first decide which type of bikes, you want to buy.
To make the decision easier, we will discuss each type of bikes’ features and benefits at first. There are some common things too to be considered that we will talk about later.
At first, let talk about the different types of features and benefits, and what thing you should look for in an electric bike.
Here, we begin-
1. Electric Mountain Bikes
Mountain bikes are designed for riding on the hill very smoothly. They are basically for the off-road track. These bikes have good suspension and their building quality is different from other bikes.
Well, the mountain bikes that have an electric motor that need less effort are known as electric mountain bikes.
Now, we will talk about what you need to look for in an electric mountain bike before you buy one. Here, they are-
- The Capacity of Battery: The battery capacity is measured by the term “Wh” which means watts per hour. The bike has a different battery capacity from 250Wh to 1,000Wh.
- Know the Output of the Motor: When you are choosing an electric bike, you have to check that the bike can provide the minimum power of 250W.
- The Torque: You have to choose a bike that provides more torque. Because the torque means more power.
- Dual Suspension: As we mentioned before that mountain bikes are made for off-road track and hill roads, so you should buy a bike with dual suspension. The dual suspension will ensure your full comfort.
- Larger Gear Range: You should choose a bike that has a larger gear range because the larger gear will ensure the difference between the largest and smallest gears.
2. Electric Cargo Bikes
Well, an electric cargo bike is designed to carry smaller loads to make your task easy. There are two types of electric cargo bikes. One is the bike that has a back-loader configuration and another has a front-loader configuration.
Now, we will talk about what you need to look for in an electric cargo bike before you buy one. Here, they are-
- Types of Configuration: As we mentioned before, there are types of configuration. So, you have to at first decide what type of configuration you want.
- Checking the Drive System: The drive system is the most important factor of an electric cargo bike. The different configured bike has a different drive system. You need to know what driving system suits you.
- The Batteries of the Bike: You need to choose a bike that has minimum power of 400Wh. Because the cargo bikes need more power to carry the load. The more battery ensures better load transportation.
3. Electric Folding Bikes
Folding bikes are very interesting bikes. You can fold the bike after using it. If you have no space at your home or very few spaces to park your bike, then you can choose a folding bike. And, the folding bike that an electric motor that is known as an electric folding bike.
Now, we will talk about what you need to look for in an electric folding bike before you buy one. Here, they are-
- The Assistance of Throttle or Pedal: The throttle or pedal assistance is very important because it will help you reduce your physical labor. More assistance means easier to ride.
- Placement of Motor: The are three types of motor placement and they are rear-hub, mid-drive, and front-hub. You have to choose the perfect one for you according to your needs.
- The Power of Motor: There are different types of motors of different power. The motor can raise the power up to 750Wh. You need to choose the perfect one according to your need and the place where you live.
- Batteries of a Folding Bike: You need to choose a bike that has minimum power of 400Wh. The more battery power will give more power to your bike’s motor.
- The Battery Placement: There are two types of battery placement of an electric bike. The first one is that the battery will be mounted at the upside of the rear wheel. The other option is that battery mounted in the middle of the bike. You should choose one according to your need.
- Types of Folding Bike: There are different types of folding bikes. You can choose any of them.
4. Electric Fat Bike
Fat bikes are those bikes that have fat tires. Fat tires of the bikes will help to get more traction on the road. The electric fat bikes are those bikes that have electric motors.
They are very hard to ride on the road. Even, the bikes are very heavyweight bikes. But, if you have a fat bike with an electric motor, then you will have to give less physical effort.
Now, we will talk about what you need to look for in an electric fat bike before you buy one. Here, they are-
- Types of Bikes: There are different types of fat bikes like- folding fat bikes, hunting fat bikes, and all-rounder bikes. You have to choose any of them that meets your needs.
- Frame Size: You need to choose a bike with the perfect frame size. You need to choose a bike that matches your height size.
- Checking the Drive System: The drive system is the most important factor of an electric fat bike. The different configured bike has a different drive system. You need to know what the driving system meets your requirements.
- The Power of Motor: There are different types of motors of different power. The motor can raise the power up to 750Wh. You need to choose the perfect one according to the place where you live and your needs.
- The Batteries of the Bike: You need to choose a bike that has minimum power of 400Wh. Because fat bikes need more power to run fast with fat tires. The more battery ensures better transportation.
Tips Before Buying Your Electric Bike: You should Know for Choosing the Perfect One
As we mentioned before, there are some common factors that you need to consider before choosing an electric bike.
So, now, we are going to share all of them. Let’s not waste any time and jump into the facts-
- Your Budget-Friendly: At first, you need to think about your budget. You should choose a bike that matches your budget.
- Knowing the Needs: You need to know why you need an electric bike. If you don’t know your needs then remember, it will be a total waste of money.
- Speed of the Bike: You should choose a bike that has the power to speed up the bike up to 25mph. For that reason, you need to choose a bike that has a motor of 250Wh.
- Model & Design: The bike model and design is a very important factor. So, while considering all the facts, you should buy a bike for meeting your requirements.
- Battery Power: Batteries that should have a minimum power of 450Wh. You must consider that fact for sure.
- Gear Shifting Range: Shifting gear’s ability is an important factor for any type of bikes. Remember, the larger shifting range means the easier gear shifting.
- Suitability to Place & Roads: Your bike should be suitable according to your place and the roads where you live.
Also, Don’t Forget To Check,
- How to Convert a Bike to Electric : Step-by-Step Guide
- 10 Best Hybrid Bikes Under 1000 : Guide To The Excellence
- What do I need to know about best budget road bikes?
Our Final Verdict:
In our discussion about what to look for in an electric bike, we tried to discuss all the relevant facts. We hope you are now able to choose the perfect electric bike for your needs. The most important facts about an electric bike are battery, motor, frame’s size, gears.
No matter what type of bike you are going to buy, you need to consider these facts.
If you have more queries, then feel free to knock us to know more. We will appreciate your queries. Comment in the comment section or mail us. Best of luck.